Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Overdue Update: Doctor's Appointment and Labor Day

It's been more than a week since I've updated so I'll try to run-down what's been going on with us.

Also, I hope that the title of this post, "Overdue Update", isn't one that I have to re-use in week 41+ of pregnancy.

On September 1st, Jun had another date with the doctor. This one was scheduled, however, and was only an ultrasound. This was the first time that Jun had an ultrasound. In the past couple of visits she was given a sonogram, but I guess the baby is big enough to be seen on ultrasound now. I think Jun likes it much better due to it being less "invasive", but it the picture quality was a little lower. Jun also mentioned that the lubricating gel they use was indeed cold like in the movies and on TV, but since it was like 105 degrees that day, she enjoyed it.

We were very pleasantly surprised to hear that Puff's heartbeat had increased from a borderline-low 117 to an incredible 170 bpm! We think he was just nervous to be on camera again and his heart started racing. The technician used her computer tool to measure Puff and determined that he is about the size of a strawberry. I know strawberries come in many sizes, but if I had to guess I'd say he was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 inches long. All in all it was a successful appointment and it was great to see Puff doing so well.

Jun's morning(evening) sickness isn't really letting up and she still has her bouts with nausea, but from all we've read it should start to subside in the next couple of weeks. She's still not obviously showing yet, but you can definitely feel a solid area below he bellybutton where the baby is. Celebrity baby-bump status is still around 2-4 weeks away I think.

After our successful doctors appointment, we began our Labor Day vacation by driving to Oklahoma to see my family. We only had to stop a couple of times for bathroom breaks and Jun didn't need any of the throw-up bags we packed so all-in-all the drive went well.

On Friday morning we slept in a little and spend most of the day vegging out with my dad who also had Friday off of work. He started a new project cleaning out (and around) an existing (currently dry) pond in an effort to a make a nice camping/cooking out/swimming hole area for his grandkids. It will look really nice and be a fun play area by the time Puff is old enough to enjoy it. We're really looking forward to that.

On Friday night we traveled into Pawnee to watch the high school team play and watch my brother coach. The struggled in the first half but made big adjustments in the second half to get the game close, but ultimately the Black Bears fell to the Woodland Cougars 34-21. I was happy to see several of my good friends from high school at the game and, if you guys and gals are reading this, I'm sorry I didn't tell you our good news then, but we hadn't told the rest of my family yet so it wasn't fair to them.

Saturday my brother and sister and their families came out to my parents house to have a family lunch. We sat down to a great lunch of fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy. My dad blessed the food and in his prayer thanked God for "all our family members and those to come." Giving away the first hint that there might be big news to come. Secondly, my mom sat an extra baby-sized plate at the table which was a hint everyone picked up on. Thank you to mom and dad to for helping us set up our announcement and thank you to the rest of the family for being so excited for us! It's a big relief to finally have our secret out in the open and we're excited to start telling the rest of our friends and family.

After lunch, Jun and I went into Stillwater to tailgate for the OSU football game. We were happy to see some of our friends and share our news with them. It was extremely hot that day, so after only a couple of hours, Jun and I headed home to watch the game as God intended: at home under an air conditioner. We spend the rest of the evening enjoying an OSU victory.

On Sunday we went in to Church with my family and enjoyed a sermon with I think was directed right at me. I'm pretty sure it was titled "Get A Job You Lazy Bum!". Ok, not really. I know that it was not directed at people like me who are actively seeking employment. It was enough about me however, to get myself, Jun and mom tickled during the sermon and we had to do our best to hold in our chuckles.

Sunday afternoon and evening brought full bellies from another delicious meal of homemade fajitas, an Andy Roddick victory, dominance from me in Wii Jeopardy (with the exception of the game when I risked my $9,000 lead on final jeopardy and lost...) and cool breezes and perfect weather relaxing outside in the hammock. Our final event of the evening was driving a few short miles down the dirt road to tell my grandparents about the baby and show them ultrasound pictures of their new great-grand baby.

Monday was our last day home and we woke up in the morning and got in 9 holes of golf at the public course in Pawnee. Mom dominated us all with straight drives and LPGA-quality iron-play. It was a beautiful day to be outside (almost chilly when we started) and I barely broke a sweat even though we walked. Unfortunately after we were done it was time to go home to Fort Worth. So we packed all our things, said our goodbyes and hit the road once more.

Thank you to mom and dad for putting up with us all weekend and wasting all of your valuable water. Hopefully the new water wells being drilled will work out. Thank you to the rest of our family for being so happy and excited for us and our new addition, it really made our day.

Apologies to all of our friends and family who haven't heard yet. I'm sure we'll get to you soon and if not... well, word travels fast in small-town america. Haha.

Also, apologies to anyone reading the post and noticing the complete lack of pictures. I DID remember to bring the camera home to Pawnee, but I never even took it our of my suitcase. I promise to do better in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment