Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Little About Me, Us and This Blog

My name is Greg.  I am 28 years old at the time of writing this.  I graduated from Oklahoma State University in 2007 with a degree in Civil Engineering.  After gradation I moved to Fort Worth, Texas to take a full-time position with an engineering firm.  I have lived here ever since.  My life would be pretty dull and boring, had I not met Jun during my last year of college.  She was a fifth-year senior, like me, and she was an Architectural Engineering major.  She was a Teaching Assistant for a class along with one of my roommates which is how we originally met.  She would come over to drop off tests or help grade papers and we eventually became friends... and a little later... more than friends.  


We didn't officially begin dating until April 2007, which was one month before we both were graduating.  I was going to be moving to Texas and she was staying at OSU for grad school.  We knew it would be tough to do a long-distance relationship, but decided that it was worth taking a chance on.  Fast forward more than four years and you have us as we are today; happily married for two-and-a-half years, still living in Fort Worth in a house we had built west of the city proper.

In the early Spring of this year, we began entertaining the idea of increasing the size of our family by 50%.  Due to my employment status (which is a tale for another day, and possibly another blog), we put off actually trying for a kid until our 28th birthdays began approaching (Me: July 11th, Her:  June 30th).  After deciding we were going to get too old if we didn't get our act together soon, we officially started trying in late June.  

We began charting waking temperatures and using a guidebook (thanks cousin Cindy!) to tell us what her temperature charts meant and what days she would be most fertile.  Well, that book must contain some kind of magic because it took only one month for us to get pregnant.  One month.  I can't believe it.  I mean, I really went in with no expectations because I had read it takes some couples months or even years to conceive, surely we couldn't be so incredibly lucky.  

The test says otherwise.  As of today, Jun is approximately 6 weeks along.  Not very far at all, but it's crazy to think that one month out the nine passed without us even knowing.  She isn't showing and probably won't for many more weeks.  She has some symptoms of pregnancy such as fatigue and funny tastes in her mouth as well as a few others that are too personal to go into on here.  No morning sickness yet, but our other book says that will probably start in 2-3 weeks.  Neither of us are looking forward to that, but we both know it comes with the territory.  

Now, while we are extremely excited by this news and feel that God has certainly blessed us, we still approach these next few weeks with wariness.  Jun won't even be able to go to the doctor for another two weeks to confirm.  Even then, we probably won't be sharing our joy with anyone outside of family for probably even a month or so after that.  Chances are, if you're reading this, we're already a few months along and you have some reading to catch up on!

I've intended for this blog to be a journal of sorts for Jun and I, but also as a way our family and friends can keep updated on our progress and share in our new adventure (both the highs and the lows...).  

Thank you for reading our blog.  I hope you will have as much joy reading it as we have writing (and living!) it.

No comments:

Post a Comment